Starting a Business

Home/Economic Development/Starting a Business

Alaska Department of Administration |Alaska Department of Fish and Game | Alaska Department of Labor | Alaska Department

Alaska Department of Administration

Alaska Department of Administration Division of Motor Vehicles:

Motor vehicle, trailer, or semi-trailer dealers must register with the “Alaska Department of Administration; Division of Motor Vehicles” (Motor Vehicles), give evidence of a $50,000 surety bond, and pay a biennial registration fee of $50. Motorcycle dealers must register with Motor Vehicles, give evidence of a $10,000 surety bond, and pay a biennial registration fee of $50. Processing time for issuance of a Motor Vehicle Dealer or Buyer registration certificate may be 4-6 weeks.

Occupational and Professional Licenses

DCCED; Division of Corporations, Business, & Professional Licensing; Professional Licensing:
The DCCED; Division of Corporations, Business & Professional Licensing; Professional Licensing Section (Professional Licensing Section) provides verification of qualifications of persons engaged in various occupational and professional vocations. The Professional Licensing Section provides information to those persons seeking licensing in the State of Alaska, and investigates and enforces the statutes governing the various boards. Professional categories licensed through the Professional Licensing Section include:

  • Acupuncturists
  • Architects, Engineers, Land Surveyors, and Landscape Architects
  • Audiologists, Hearing Aid Dealers, Speech Pathologists
  • Barbers and Hairdressers
  • Big Game Guides and Transporters
  • Body Piercing
  • Chiropractic
  • Conservators
  • Collection Agencies
  • Concert Promoters
  • Construction Contractors
  • Dental and Dental Hygienists
  • Dieticians and Nutritionists
  • Direct Entry Midwives
  • Dispensing Opticians
  • Electrical Administrators
  • Euthanasia Services (Animals)
  • Foreign Pleasure Craft
  • Geologists
  • Guardians
  • Home Inspectors
  • Manicurists
  • Marine Pilots
  • Marital and Family Therapists
  • Mechanical Administrators
  • Medical (including Paramedics and Physician Assistants)
  • Mortuary Science
  • Naturopaths
  • Nurse Aides
  • Nursing
  • Nursing Home Administrators
  • Optometrists
  • Pharmacy
  • Physical/Occupational Therapy
  • Professional Counselors
  • Psychology
  • Public Accountancy
  • Real Estate Appraisers
  • Real Estate Commission
  • Social Workers
  • Tattoos and Permanent Cosmetic Coloring
  • Underground Storage Tank Workers, and
  • Veterinarians

Insurance Producer Licensing Requirements

DCCED; Division of Insurance:

Producers (agents and brokers), adjusters, and other license types require passage of an Alaska examination or certification from the domicile state. There are several types and classes of licensure available. According to “3 AAC 23.100 – .170”, and effective September 26, 1996, a licensed insurance producer must obtain Continuing Education before a license will be issued. A complete list of licensing forms, bulletins and additional information is located on the Financial Examination Sections’ Producer Licensing, Viaticals & TPAs website.

Insurance Company Licensing Requirements

Insurance companies are required to obtain a Certificate of Authority from DCCED’s Division of Insurance; Financial Examination Section (Financial Examination Section) prior to conducting the business of insurance within the State of Alaska, or, prior to insuring residents, located in Alaska.

Alaska Department of Fish & Game

Commercial Fisheries Entry Commission (AS 16.43)

The Commercial Fisheries Entry Commission (CFEC) issues commercial fishing permits, commercial vessel licenses, and sport (charter) vessel licenses. All individuals participating in commercial fisheries, as gear operators must obtain either an interim-use or limited entry permit for each fishery in which they are involved. A permit also authorizes the holder to participate as a crewmember in other commercial fisheries. Additionally, vessels used in commercial fisheries must have a commercial vessel license. Licensing of crewmembers that are not permit holders is handled by the Alaska Department of Fish & Game (ADF&G).

Limited Entry Permits (AS 16.43)

Limited Entry Permits are required for those fisheries that have been placed under entry limitation. This includes all salmon fisheries; most Herring fisheries; the Herring Spawn on Kelp pound fisheries in Prince William Sound, Togiak, and Northern and Southern Southeast; the Sablefish longline and pot fisheries; the King Crab and Tanner Crab pot fisheries in Southeast Alaska; the Dungeness Crab fisheries in Southeast Alaska and Cook Inlet; the Shrimp pot, Beam and Otter Trawl fisheries in Southeast Alaska; and the Sea Urchin, Geoduck, and Sea Cucumber dive fisheries in Southeast Alaska. Initial eligibility to receive the Permit is determined by a point system, which ranks applicants based upon previous participation in the fishery. The only other way to obtain a Permit is by transfer from an existing permit holder by gift, inheritance, or purchase. Permit values range from approximately $2,500 – $245,000, depending upon the fishery. Lists of permits available for transfer are available from CFEC. In addition to any initial cost of obtaining a Permit by transfer, new legislation SB93, An Act relating to commercial fishing permit and vessel license fees; and providing for an effective date requires permit holders to pay an annual renewal fee to the state of $30-$3000 each year.

Interim-Use Permits

An Interim-use Permit is required to participate in any commercial fishery in the State of Alaska that is not under limited entry. Applicants may apply on an annual basis by completing a Commercial Fishing Permit Application. Prior to limitation of entry, CFEC or the Alaska State Legislature may adopt a moratorium on new entrants into a fishery. During a moratorium, only eligible applicants may be issued interim-use permits in the fishery. The annual fee for interim-use permits ranges from $50 to $750, depending upon the fishery.

Commercial Vessel Licenses (AS 16.05.490)

A Commercial Vessel License is required for all vessels used for commercial fishing or related activities, which include tenders, packers, freezers, canners, sport fishing charter vessels, and commercial fishing vessels. Based on SB93, each vessel must be licensed annually by submitting an application for a “Commercial Vessel License” with the applicable fee. Beginning in calendar year 2006, the annual license fees are charged according to the overall length of the vessel as defined by the United States Coast Guard, and range from $24 to $900.

Crewmember Licenses (AS 16.05.480)

A Crewmember License are required for all individuals who assist in the operation of commercial fishing gear or who crew on tenders, processors, or other floating craft used in transporting fish. (Permit holders do not have to obtain crewmember licenses.) “Crewmember Licenses” are issued by ADF&G, and may be obtained from them or from vendors of fish and game licenses throughout the state, at a cost of $60 for Alaska residents and $125 for nonresidents.

Alaska Department of Labor

Occupations and Requirements

The Directory of Occupations Requiring a License (Occupations Directory) is an online, complete list of occupations, which require a license issued by Federal and State Agencies, the Municipality of Anchorage, the City of Fairbanks, and the City and Borough of Juneau. If you require more information on the requirements for a particular occupation and it is not listed in the next section, refer to the online directory for additional occupations and information. The Occupations Directory is updated annually. Refer to the “last updated” at the bottom of each occupation for the month and year the file was last updated. Persons interested in becoming licensed for a particular occupation should contact the appropriate agency for more specific information. Those who wish to be licensed in a municipality other than Anchorage, Fairbanks, or Juneau should contact the appropriate city clerk’s office for information regarding local licensing requirements. License fees listed for each occupation are subject to change.

Alaska Department of Public Safety

Alcoholic Beverage Control Board (AS 04.11)

Under Alaska Statute, Title 4, entitled “Alcoholic Beverages”; holders of liquor licenses in Alaska pay a biennial liquor license fee to the Alcoholic Beverage Control Board (ABC Board). The ABC Board’s main office is located in Anchorage with field offices located in Juneau and Fairbanks. Biennial license fees for public liquor establishments vary from $600 to $2500. Applications for new licenses require a $100 processing fee and renewals require a $200 filing fee. There are 19 types of licenses and permits. All licenses are issued for two calendar years. Wholesale license holders pay a minimum license fee of $400 for malt and wine beverages and $2,000 minimum for all alcoholic beverages. Wholesale licensees additionally pay $300 to $10,000 annually depending on business transacted during the year. A 1993 amendment to AS 4 requires all license holders, and anyone employed to sell or serve alcoholic beverages, to take an approved alcohol server education course.

Alaska Department of Revenue

Fisheries Business License (AS 43.75)

Fisheries Business licenses are required if a person/company is 39 processing a fisheries resource inside the state or exporting an unprocessed fisheries resource from the state for purposes of resale. Applicants must estimate fisheries business taxes for the year and secure this estimate. The fee for a Fisheries Business License is $25.00 and the license year runs from January 1 through December 31. A Fisheries Business Tax Return is due by March 31 of the following year.

Direct Market License

Beginning in 2005, fishermen may obtain a Direct Marketing Fisheries Business License instead of the standard Fisheries Business License. The new DOR license type is for individual fishermen exporting their catch unprocessed, or processing a fishery at a shore base plant or on board their own vessel. To be eligible for the “Direct Marketing Fisheries Business License” the individual must:

  • Hold a Limited Entry or Quota Share Permit;
  • Own or lease a commercial fishing vessel not exceeding 65 feet in length.

Salmon Enhancement Tax

The Salmon Enhancement Tax is an elective tax levied on salmon sold in or exported from established regional aquaculture associations in Alaska. Commercial fishers in each region elect to pay a 2% or 3% tax based on the value of salmon sold in or exported from that region. Fishers pay salmon enhancement taxes to processors at the time of sale or to DOR for salmon exported from the region. Processors remit taxes collected from fishers to DOR at the address provided above.

Buyers: Holders of a “Fisheries Business License” that purchase salmon must collect the Salmon Enhancement Tax and file on a monthly basis using the Salmon Enhancement Tax Return. Holders of a “Fisheries Business License” must file a bonus return when a Limited Entry Permit holder (as defined under AS 16.43) receives end-of-season settlement or bonus payments for salmon previously acquired by the buyer.

Fishers: Fishers (including holders of a Direct Marketing Fisheries Business License) that sell to unlicensed buyers in the State of Alaska, or that export salmon from an aquaculture region, must pay the tax and file the Salmon Enhancement Tax Return annually before April 1st of the following year.
Exempt purchases: Salmon purchased from government agencies, salmon hatcheries, fishing derby associations, and other organizations with “special use permits” are not subject to the Salmon Enhancement Tax.

Surety Bonding (AS 44.25.040)

A $10,000 Primary Fish Buyer/processor Bond must be provided if the person/company is buying any fisheries resource from fishermen OR hiring any processing 40 employees. The bond remains in place for two years, unless a claim is filed against the Primary Fish Buyer/processor Bond, in which case it remains in place for five years. There is no fee for this certification. Processors, that process 30,000 pounds or less of fish, or buyers that purchase $30,000 or less of fish, need to provide only a $2,000 bond.

Cigarettes and Tobacco Products License (AS 43.50)

Cigarettes: The Cigarette Tax Act requires the first person that imports, manufactures, sells, purchases, possesses or acquires cigarettes in Alaska, upon which the “Cigarette and Tobacco Products Tax” has not been paid, is required to obtain an Alaska Cigarette and Tobacco Products License from DOR. This includes individuals who import cigarettes for their own consumption. The “Cigarette and Tobacco Products Tax” is paid through the purchase of Cigarette Tax Stamps. An “Alaska Cigarette and Tobacco Products License” allows a person to purchase and affix tax stamps.

“Other” Tobacco Products: The first person that imports, manufactures, or acquires other tobacco products for sale must first obtain an Alaska Cigarette and Tobacco Products License from DOR. The “Cigarette and Tobacco Products Tax” is required to be paid by the end of the month following the month in which the other tobacco products were imported into the state for sale. Each applicant must file monthly “Cigarette and Tobacco Products Tax” returns and pay the tax due. The license year runs from July 1 through June 30. The license fee is $50 for all businesses and $25 for individuals who import cigarettes for their own consumption.

Alaska Mining License (AS43.65)

A person engaged in one or more of the following activities in the State of Alaska is in the business of mining and must obtain an Alaska Mining License and file an Alaska Mining License Tax Return:

  • A person owning a mining property and receiving lease or royalty payments based on production from the property;
  • A person leasing a mining property from another person and operating the property, and
  • A person possessing a mineral interest, whether an economic or a production interest, in a producing property, including royalty, working or operating interests, net profits, overriding royalties, carried interest, and production payments.


The Sand/Gravel Mining License year runs from May 1 through April 30 of the following year. There is no fee due to DOR for this license. An Alaska Mining License Tax Return is due by the last day of the fourth month of the following year. 41 DNR issues the Placer Mining License. DOR issues the Sand/Gravel Mining License.

Qualified Dealer License – Motor Fuel (AS 43.40)

To purchase or sell tax-exempt fuel as a qualified dealer, a person must hold a current Motor Fuel Excise Tax Qualified Dealer License issued by DOR. A Motor Fuel Excise Tax Qualified Dealer Bond equal to twice the average monthly excise taxes, but in no case less than $5,000, must be provided to DOR. Each Motor Fuel Excise Tax Qualified Dealer must file monthly returns and pay any tax due. No license fee is required.

Manufacturer’s Permit – Alcoholic Beverages (AS 43.60)

Every distillery, brewery, or winery that manufactures alcoholic beverages in the state for sale must obtain a license from DOR and post an Alcoholic Beverages Surety Bond in the amount of $25,000. An alcoholic beverage manufacturer may obtain a permit in lieu of the $25,000 Alcoholic Beverages Surety Bond if the “Alcoholic Beverage Tax” is paid before shipment. Each manufacturer must file monthly tax returns and pay any tax due. The license year runs from July 1 through June 30. No license fee is required.

Bonded Warehouse License Alcoholic Beverages (AS 43.60)

Every person who imports alcoholic beverages into Alaska must pay the tax on the alcoholic beverages at the time they are imported unless the alcoholic beverages are placed in a State Bonded Warehouse. No one may operate or advertise an alcoholic beverage warehouse as a State Bonded Warehouse, unless the warehouse is bonded and has obtained the State Bonded Warehouse License from DOR. An